Friday 25 January 2013

The diet

I have yet to describe the BFL diet.  I think the diet pretty much goes as follows:
  • One carb and one protein every 2-3 hours while awake
  • Portions are either the size of your fist, or the size of your palm (do not simply go by serving size, as this may result in you skimping on necessary nutrients to keep you going)
There, that's it.  That's the BFL diet.  It's that easy.  I'll go over what food you can eat in a minute, although I think you will be surprised how much "normal food" you can eat.

I have made four simple tweaks of the BFL diet some to fit my life:

1.  Eating: I have divided these into snacks and meals:
  • Meals:  Something that really fills me up.  I usually reserve meals for lunch and dinner, and I try to go three hours after a meal before having a snack.
  • Snacks:  Something small that helps you make it to the next meal.  I try to go two hours after a snack before the next meal.  
2.  Note that above I wrote that you should eat one protein and one carb every 2-3 hours while awake.  By this I have adjusted the BFL diet for working night shift.  So long as you are awake you should continue to eat.  On the days you are up all day and up all night, you will eat up to 12 meals in a day.

On most days you will make up for this by sleeping the next day, but not always. It does not matter, because it works.  So long as you are awake, you must continue to consume the nutrients that will keep you feeling full and continue fuelling your new fat burning machine.  

3.  I do not use any supplements, and I do not buy any of the BFL shakes, bars or other products.  I feel you can just as easily provide nutrients for your body without putting money in other people's pockets.  

4.  I do not keep track of what I eat in a journal.  I do, however, work with my wife to make some kind of plan as to what we will eat during the course of the week, although nothing is etched in stone.  My wife usually cooks something clean for dinner, and the leftovers will be the next days lunch.  

So, a sample day: 
  • 6 a.m.oatmeal and cottage cheese
  • 9 a.m. low fat cheese stick and an orange
  • 11-12 a.m. chicken breast, baked potato (with only salt added), a vegetable
  • 2-3 p.m. apple and a serving of sliced ham 
  • 5-6 p.m. pork and rice and vegetable
  • 8 p.m. microwave popcorn and cottage cheese (maybe a pickle)
 If I work nights I may sleep through one or more of the above. I will also add the following:
  • 9 p.m. apple and low fat string cheese
  • 11 p.m. pork and rice and vegetable
  • 2 a.m. apple and one serving of sliced roast beef and carrot sticks
  • 4-5 a.m. healthy TV dinner (Lean Cuisine, Weight Watchers, etc.)
  • 8 a.m (back at home) shredded wheat with skim milk and cottage cheese
Then it's to bed.  I will be extremely tired.  

That's the diet tweaked from BFL to RFL. 

No comments:

Post a Comment