Thursday 24 January 2013

Welcome to Rick for Life

This blog is for me.  Every other blog I created for me ended up being something more than me.  That will not happen with this blog, though.  This blog is for me, and will always be for me.  This blog is to share my journey as I reform my life, reshape my body, and create a Body For Life (BFL).  This is the one thing I'm doing for me and only me. 

My name is Rick Frea.  I have a wife and four kids.  I live in a small house that is bulging at the seams because there are six of us in a house meant for two.  But it works, and we all love one another and we all enjoy life.  My goal is to get my body back in shape so I can play baseball with my son next summer, and improve my overall morale, and to generally feel better about myself.  I'm also doing it so I increase my odds of being around as my kids age. 

To do this I have to create time for myself.  So many people in my life say things like, "How do you find time to workout when there's so much else to do?"  Well, I do it because I have to do it. When there's something this important in your life, you just make the time.  And it is challenging.  If it weren't challenging I wouldn't be doing the BFL program for the umpteenth time. 

The fact that I weight more now than the first time I did the BFL back in 2002 by no means implies the BFL program doesn't work.  What it does mean is that I let the stress of life control me, rather than allowing myself to control myself.  I let the stress of having kids let me stop working out.  And here I am again, after the storm of creating four of them.  What I see in the mirror is the me that withered the storm.  And, trust me, it ain't pretty.

Well, I see worse.  I see worse every day I work.  I see worse lying in a hospital bed.  I see people who eat KFC every day.  I see people who drink until they can't walk anymore.  I see people who didn't take their blood pressure medicine and now they can't change their own britches.  I see it all, and I don't want to be it.  I want to have control of my life for many more years.  And that's why I started this blog. 

I have to live in this body the rest of my life.  This is what God gave me, and it is my responsibility to take care of it.  So this is my blog.  This is Rick for Life.

1 comment:

  1. well done Rick. I read the posts most days to motivate me to train as I started in the 7th Jan as well...although I'm not computer literate enough to know how to register and post. I hope you keep going through the 12 weeks and more, I'll be checking up daily to see how everyone is getting on as it helps me get through.

    best of luck

    ReplyDelete